Wednesday, May 1, 2024

It's Your Funeral A Poem By Ray Zag

It’s your funeral 


I had a dream with John Candy,

asked him how it felt to die

He said “I don’t know what to tell you kid,

just buy a suit and tie”


Offspring centered in the catacombs  

 Virgin Mary drunk on rye, 

she said “I don’t know what to tell you kid,

just buy a suit and tie”


Birds they nest in after hour tree, 

God runs errands and negates prayer

nothing new on this side of the fence 

dirty cars running on empty,

beautiful girls text lovers on empty

while I watch b/w noir films 

devoid of sound 


My malady forces me to watch the

world change through a phone screen 

better me than you

Barney Gumble once told me,

through the glow of my family television 

“don’t cry for me, bc I’m already dead”


Metaphysical reverberations of a loser,

life in a bed

So as pretentious as it sounds,

Heres to you and yours 

may your glass stay always full

and pray it never hit the floor 

While parades march crooked 

down the street, and people root and cry

I don’t know what to tell you kid,

just buy a suit and tie 

No comments:

Post a Comment