Tuesday, July 23, 2024

4:20: A poem by Ray Zag

I wrote this poem at 4:20, a time that happens twice a day

My mother, adopted at birth, gave me 200 mgs of edible marijuana before leaving 

Trying her best 

Against her behest 

While watching a documentary 

About Rush Limbaugh 


I wrote this poem at 4:20, a time that happens twice a day 

My mother, adopted at birth, told stories of getting chased by coyotes 

Animated and emphatically detailed 

She used to drink wine and smoke cigarettes on the stairs of my old apartment 

While car motors mechanically hummed by

But nobody seemed to care 


I wrote this poem at 4:20, a time that happens twice a day 

My mother, adopted at birth, born the spring before the summer of love 

Gave birth to me the fall after the 20th anniversary of the summer of love

Where every bone in your soul melts into mechanized gold

But nobody seems to care 


I wrote this poem at 4:20, a time that happens twice a day 

My mother, adopted at birth, tries her best 

But nobody seems to care

Except me 


No comments:

Post a Comment